American Corner Mitrovica was opened on September 26, 2005. This project is the result of the cooperation between the Public Affairs Office of the US Embassy in Pristina and the Public Library “Vuk St. Karadzic”.
The American Corner Mitrovica, offer access to current information about the United States via book collections, the Internet, and through a variety of events such as speaker programs, English-language classes, discussion clubs, workshops, lectures, exhibits, documentary and movie projections, holiday celebrations, meetings, webinars, TOEFL and other tests, and various exchange programs. Also, the AC Mitrovica has a great numbers of games for children (educational board games and Wii), as well as other resources such as the Smart Board, iPads and kindles.
American Corner Mitrovica is part of the Public Library “Vuk St. Karadzic”, established to build and strengthen relationships between U.S. and Kosovo peoples, showcase American culture and values, promote English language learning, encourage study in the United States, and foster good will and mutual understanding.
American Corner Mitrovica exemplifies the U.S. commitment to a core tenet of democracy: a citizen’s right to free access to information. . It provides authoritative information about the United States and connects American and Kosovo citizens, and build bridges of mutual respect and understanding. It aims to achieve the following goals:
- Provide accurate, compelling, timely, and audience-appropriate information about the United States—its history, culture, society, and values.
- Facilitate English language learning through access to English language speakers, resources, computers, and the Internet.
- Promote U.S. higher education through EducationalUSA advising by providing international students with accurate, comprehensive, and current guidance on applying to U.S. colleges and universities.
- Foster people-to-people connections, increase understanding, and build respect with host-country audiences through cultural programs.
- Support continued engagement with U.S. government alumni, connecting them to local audiences through alumni programs where credible, local voices can share firsthand information about the United States and American values.
American Corner Mitrovica has strong partnership with the following organizations.
American Corner Mitrovica has two funding sources. One is through the Public Library “Vuk St. Karadzic”; the other is through U.S. Embassy Pristina.
The Public Library “Vuk St. Karadzic”, as a host institution, covers most of management and recurrent costs, including, but not limited to, staff salary, space cost, utilities, maintenance, supplies, etc.
U.S. Embassy Pristina provides support funding for resources, books, magazines, internet access, programing, supplies, equipment and furniture.