Job title: American Corner Mitrovica North Assistant
Contract type: Full time
Working hours: Monday-Friday, 10:00-18:00
Duration: One year (6 months probation) with possibility of extension pending on funding availability and job performance.
This job position is funded by U.S. Embassy in Kosovo, through a grant (#SKV42020CA0051) to NGO Kosovo United States Alumni Association (KUSA), which is managing the grant on behalf of American Corner Mitrovica North.
Background: American Corner Mitrovica is located in the City Library Vuk St. Karadzic in Mitrovica North. City Library Vuk St. Karadzic provides one staff member who manages the American Corner and is supported by a group of volunteers. The American Corner program is sponsored worldwide by the U.S. Department of State and is a partnership between country’s host institution and the U.S. Embassy. The purpose of the Corner is to provide free information to the general public about the United States through programme, activities, books, magazines etc. The Corner also host a wide variety of events: such as cultural programs and guest lecturers from U.S. Embassy officials, Fulbright scholars, and others, film and video showings, poetry readings, conversational hours, Readers’ Club, children’s story hours, and many other similar and inovative activities. Therefore, in order to increase working hours and programs, an American Corner (AC) Assistant is needed. The AC Assistant shall assist in organizing, hosting and providing programs and activities at American Corner Mitrovica, including contribution towards fulfilling all American Corners Standards, during extended opening hours in collaboration with the AC Coordinator.
Under the general supervision of the American Corner Mitrovica Coordinator and City Library Vuk St. Karadzic the Corner’s Assistant plans, organizes and directs the activities of the Corner. As needed she/he serves as a liaison between the Corner, the City Library Vuk St. Karadzic and the U.S. Embassy Kosovo, as well as local agencies, businesses, schools and organizations with an interest in the United States.
- Directs and handles activities of the American Corner, to include the following and other tasks as needed:
- Assists American Corner’s users in locating and using reference materials.
- Registers new members and checks out/in library resources; identifies and engages volunteers to help with American Corner programs and activities
- Identifies and engages volunteers to help with American Corner programs and activities.
- Assists with designing and organizing programs and events in compliance with the Corner’s strategy in cooperation with the Corner’s staff and the U.S. Embassy in Kosovo.
- Makes use of technology and other resources provided by State Department through the U.S. Embassy in Kosovo, such as promotion materials, online interactive programs and resources, etc.
- Assists in preparing outreach materials, handouts, logistics, and reporting, etc., for programs/events.
- Establishes and maintains linkages with other American Corners in Kosovo and the region, libraries, alumni individuals, groups and associations, cultural centers and similar institutions.
- Assists in preparing and maintaining monthly calendars, reports, and contact lists, etc. Assists with maintenance of American Corner Mitrovica materials and equipment;
- Carries out outreach activities to schools, libraries, cultural centers and other institutions of interest.
- Helps in the development of the American Corner’s collection.
- Catalogs Corner’s materials through the library’s software.
- Shelves books and other materials according to required library standards.
- Carries out special projects as needed and performs other duties as assigned.
- Must be fluent in Serbian and English
- Must have ability to communicate effectively, orally and in writing in Serbian and English languages
- Has skills in using Microsoft Office package (word processing, spreadsheet, PowerPoint, Publisher), internet, social media, video communications.
- Able to use mobile devices and IT equipment related to users and programs (e.g. tablets, kindles, videoconferencing equipment, smart boards, digital/video camera, etc).
- University Degree or enrolled in studies in their last university/college year (i.e. senior student);
- General knowledge of American history, values, society, culture, education, and politics of the United States of America;
- Has stayed or studied in the U.S. for a period no less than 6 months (preferred).
All applicants must submit a CV and Cover Letter to email@example.com
Applications will be accepted until October 12th 2020.